The Waco Tribune-Herald reports Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is testing BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort for Naegleria (nee-GLEHR'-yah) fowleri (FOW'-lur-eye), a rare but highly deadly ameba colloquially known as a "brain-eating amoeba".
Stabile, an avid outdoorsman, came down with a sudden severe headache while mowing his lawn September 16, according to a GoFundMe page. 30 out of the 34 brain-eating amoeba cases reported between 2008 and 2017 were caused by recreational water.
"Fab" was an avid outdoorsman who loved snowboarding, surfing and anything to do with friends and family.
The amoeba, also known as Naegleria fowleri, is "incredibly rare", but is naturally occurring in warm, fresh and sometimes stagnant water.
The agency adds, people can get infected if the water enters through their nose.
Symptoms start between one and nine days after swimming or other nasal exposure to Naegleria-containing water.
Dozens dead after natural disaster and tsunami in Indonesia
The regencies of Donggala, Sigi and Parigi Moutong - with a combined population of 1.2 million - had yet to be fully assessed. Two months ago, on another Indonesian island - Lombok - a series of earthquakes, in which more than 500 people were killed.
The fatality rate for the infection is over 97%.
Craine said one person from out of state who visited the park has been infected by the amoeba, and the CDC is trying to find the source. From there, the amoeba can travel to the brain, where it causes a severe inflammatory condition called primary amebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM.
Fabrizio Stabile visited the BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco and used the park's wave pool earlier this month.
Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic amoeba commonly found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers, and hot springs around the world.
In one week, almost $23,000 has been raised to start the Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness, according to the GoFundMe page. Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting, followed by a stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures, and hallucinations.
The CDC will continue to investigate the surf resort in Waco. Very rarely has it been discovered in poorly chlorinated swimming pools and contaminated tap water.